Jump to navigation

Uganda

Diplomatic glitch after government agrees to take in Afghan refugees

Foreign ministry initiative creates tensions with the presidency in Entebbe

President Yoweri Museveni's government may have seen a chance to curry favour with the United States by quickly agreeing to take in 2,000 refugees fleeing Afghanistan after the Taliban seized power there. But the move angered President Museveni when it emerged that miscommunications with a junior minister over the arrangements had bounced Uganda's government into making the offer.

'The request was made yesterday by the US government to H.E. [President Museveni] and he has given them an OK to bring 2,000 refugees to Uganda,' government minister Esther Anyakun Davinia told Reuters, adding that 'they are going to be here temporarily for three months before the US government resettles them elsewhere.'

That was news to Museveni. Foreign minister Jeje Odongo has since rowed back on the promise, insisting that the resettlement plan has not been finally agreed with the US. Odongo's deputy, Oryem Okello, told reporters on Thursday that 'they are not refugees; the US asked us on whether we could take them in temporarily as they are vetted possibly for relocation.'

The first group of 500 Afghans had been expected to arrive in Uganda on Monday night, but are yet to arrive. Uganda was the first of six African countries that the US asked to host fleeing Afghan nationals to agree.

Following sustained US government criticism of the intimidation and arrest of opposition leaders and allegation of vote rigging in January's disputed presidential elections, Museveni may have seen a chance to strengthen his position and repair relations with Washington (AC Vol 62 No 11, Cracks in the ruling party). Failing to agree on the terms of the refugee assistance programme would be an embarrassing setback.



Related Articles

Cracks in the ruling party

The government flounders as condemnation of rights abuses grows along with the popularity of oppositionist Bobi Wine

President Yoweri Museveni may be closing on a fourth decade in power but all is far from well in his restive ruling party as members wait for him...


How family and the army dominate Museveni's endgame

Military chief and dauphin General Muhoozi leads the campaign to win the 2026 election – frustrating dissident officers

At a private dinner party last month to mark his retirement from the military, a senior officer told close friends that he was relieved not to have to...


Trying treason

The 1 July decision to drop some of the lesser charges against Ugandan opposition leader Kizza Besigye came as no surprise to most people, since the entire case...


Taping the LRA

South Sudan tries to bring Uganda's rebels to peace but not to justice

At the celebrations to mark the founding of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement/Army on 16 May, Southern Sudanese President Salva Kiir Mayardit told supporters that his fledgling government...


Guerre du lac

Commercial rivalries and contractual disputes over oil reserves in Lake Albert, which runs along the Congo-Kinshasa/ Uganda border, are heating up. Tensions between their two armies have ebbed...